Wednesday 29 September 2010

I am a Woman Healing Myself

This is an excerpt from "I am a Woman Finding My Voice", my new favourite beautiful book, by Janet F Quinn. Each short section tackles an area of life like "Believing in Myself" or "Allowing Others to Be Right" or "Having a Daring Adventure". The language is gorgeous, urging self-acceptance while motivating gentle self-improvement.


Janet writes:

The word heal comes from the Anglo-Saxon haelan, which means to be or to become whole. To be a woman healing myself is to be a woman becoming whole; giving myself the time and the space I need for the journey. No one grows up without wounds - emotional wounds; spiritual wounds; psychological wounds. I may want to forget how I have been hurt, bury it and just move on, but sometimes my wounds keep me from becoming all that I want to be, and so I need to pay attention to them. 
[…] 
Healing is discovering all the secret places inside of me, especially the ones I feel ashamed of or frightened by, and befriending them. Healing is the process I am engaged in and not a specific outcome. I fill my life with people and things that nourish and feed me and I try to avoid anything that is not healing for me and anyone who does violence to my unfolding. I do not know what the outcome of this process will be, what my healing will look like, or feel like, even to myself, because healing is always creative. Yet I have come to trust that, no matter what it looks like, feels like, or sounds like, no matter how long it is taking, or how foreign the territory, I am a woman healing myself

Janet F Quinn


I came across Janet Quinn on the Shift In Action website, a treasure house of interviews with fascinating individuals. You can listen online or download the recording, or read the transcript. "The Way of the Healer: You are the medicine and you are enough" is a great introduction to Janet's philosophy and wealth of practical experience.

She also has a website: Haelan Works

and her book is available from Amazon

in the UK: I Am a Woman Finding My Voice: Celebrating the Extraordinary Blessings of Being a Woman

and in the US via Janet's website.


No comments:

Post a Comment